The Marquis of Bute gave the site (which was partly worked as clay pits in the late 19th century) to the people of Cardiff on condition it be used for recreation.
Maindy Recreation Ground was opened on May 5th, 1928.
A bowling green opened for play in May 1929 and was hugely successful, so a second was added in 1930.
During the war there was an ARP (Air Raid Precautions) wardens’ post at Maindy Pool, as well as a first aid post and decontamination, cleansing and rescue centres. Part of the Maindy Pool site was used for wartime allotments and was still occupied in December 1945, when the Parks Committee agreed to give the tenants six months’ notice to quit expiring 31st October 1946. At this time a council committee also approved a new layout for the site (now known as Maindy Park).
In 1950 the construction of a reinforced concrete cycling track began and the official opening of Maindy Stadium took place on Monday 14th May 1951 at 2:30pm, and the Rt. Hon. Lord Luke of Pakenham, Chairman of the National Playing Fields Association, was to perform the opening ceremony. The stadium hosted a number of Festival of Britain events in that year.
Efforts to revive speedway in the city in the early 1950s were initially focused here as well.
First British Heavyweight Boxing title fight took place in front of 30,000 spectators.
The stadium hosted the Commonwealth Games. Rare colour footage of the stadium during the 1958 Commonwealth Games can be seen at the following link (see 6:58 onwards), including cycling and athletics events plus a visit to the stadium by the Duke of
Edinburgh. Watch Here
The cycling track, which measures 459 metres, is broadly unchanged since it was opened; however, the covered grandstand, judge’s box and concrete terracing was all removed in the 1970s/80s and replaced with grassed banking. The six-lane cinder running track situated in the middle of the velodrome has also been removed to make way for several sports pitches in the centre. In 1993, the stadium was renovated and a modern swimming pool built.
Maindy Stadium is recorded by Royal Commission of Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales in it’s online catalogue of archaeology, buildings, industrial and maritime heritage